Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
City of Woodland Fire Department 1000 Lincoln Ave. Woodland, CA 95695 Phone: 530-661-5860 Fax: 530-662-5781
(Woodland, CA) - As the Fourth of July holiday approaches, the Woodland Fire and Police Departments are reminding the community that the City has a zero-tolerance policy for illegal fireworks use.
The recreational or civilian use of fireworks can result in personal injury, death, emergency room visits, and extensive property damage. On average, 180 people in the US go to the emergency room every day around the July 4th holiday for firework-related injuries; 44% of those injuries are burns. Sparklers burn at 2000 degrees, which is hot enough to melt metal, according to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Only the use of “Safe and Sane” fireworks are allowed in the City of Woodland. “If you decide to celebrate the 4th of July with fireworks, please know that only Safe and Sane Fireworks are allowed in the State of California. That means they must bear the State Fire Marshal seal,” stated Emily Walling, City of Woodland Fire Marshal. Any firework that flies in the air, darts across the ground or explodes, is considered illegal in California. If it doesn’t have the California State Fire Marshal’s seal on the packaging, it’s illegal.
Police and Fire Departments’ staffing will be increased in the days surrounding the July 4th holiday. A dedicated team of proactive officers and fire investigators will be on duty to respond to calls related to fireworks and disturbances. Citations will be given to any individual found using, making, selling, buying, or in the possession of illegal fireworks.
Anyone found to be possessing fireworks that aren’t of the “Safe and Sane” variety, such as firecrackers, bottle rockets, mortars, roman candles, or anything that flies/shoots through the air can be cited a minimum $500 fine and up to one year in county jail. The citation amount can go up to $50,000, depending on the quantity of illegal fireworks in possession.
Fireworks booths will be open for sale of Safe and Sane fireworks, starting at noon on June 28th, and are permitted to run through July 6th, although some may select to close after the 4th.
Fire Department staff will be conducting safety inspections for the following permitted booths, prior to opening:
1. Calvary Baptist Church 630 Cottonwood St – Cottonwood Plaza
2. Church on the Rock 215 California – Shade Tree Plaza
3. Grace and New Hope Ministries 367 W Main St—Raley’s
4. Middle Schools of Woodland Music 1350 E Main St - ACE Hardware
5. Royal Arch Masons 451 Pioneer Ave – Food 4 Less
6. New Testament Church 1254 E Gibson Rd – JC Penny’s
7. Pioneer Jr Patriots 801 Main St
8. Woodland Christian Center 1885 E Gibson Rd – Bel Air
9. Woodland Family Worship Center 299 Bronze Star Dr. – Target
10. Woodland Girls Fast Pitch 1435 East St – Frenchy’s Liquor Store
11. Woodland Host Lions 1 Purity Plaza/9 Main St – Hollywood Video
12. Woodland (Music Boosters) High School Music 345 W Main St – True Value Hardware
13. Woodland New Life Community Church 1320 E Main St –Cracchiolo’s
14. Woodland Soccer Club 234 W Court St – West Court Plaza
15. Yolo American Legion Post 77 1720 E Main St – Walmart
16. Woodland Assembly of God/The Dwelling Place Pioneer Ave & E Gibson – Bell Air Aisle 1
17. Folkorico Latino de Woodland 1388 E Main St – Party City
To report the use of illegal fireworks or other neighborhood disturbances, please contact Yolo Non-Emergency Dispatch at 530-666-2411.
The Fire and Police Department is asking for the community’s cooperation in keeping this Fourth of July holiday a safe one!